Wednesday, December 7, 2011

a here we come a-christmasing


This past weekend, for the first time in my adult life, I purchased a real live Christmas tree.  My dad helped me get it to my house and standing in my living room.  It still seems almost surreal that he's back in Atlanta now.  I was so glad to have him around to help me with my tree.  It looks a bit like Kevin's did in Home Alone...sans creepy Joe Pesci peering in the window.



Many of my gifts this year are going to be paintings, because I want to share this recently discovered love with those I love the most.  I'm pretty excited about it.  This past weekend was spent running to and fro doing the most christmas-y sorts of things- a parade, shopping, mixing a christmas cd, and attending a christmas party....all the while feeling so much pressure to get stuff done and be productive with my time.    The season of Advent is about the coming- Christ's first coming and the anticipation of His second.  I feel this year that most of my heart's time in the past few weeks has been spent in anticipation of Trent's coming.  It's been a full 6 weeks (I think...and I'm not going to count) since we've seen one another.  This period of time has been particularly hard, but the Lord told me last night that this is meant to be a very sweet season in our relationship.   It is sweet, to be sure, but it's hard to remain content and keep myself from thinking how much better it would be if we lived in the same city and saw one another all the time.  God has orchestrated every other aspect of this.  I keep asking and hoping that the Lord will tell me the purpose of this distance and waiting season.  It does make the heart grow faint.   God has not given me a concrete answer yet, but right now it's taking everything within me to wait on His lovingkindness, which I know He does not withhold from me.    A verse which Trent shared with me a few weeks ago, and now resides on a post-it next to my computer screen...and in my heart is
“He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He does not take pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord favors those who fear Him, Those who wait for His loving kindness. (Psalm 147:10-11).

Also,  this weekend, I'll be traveling to New York City to see a dear friend, Erin Leigh. This trip has been planned for months and months now.  I'm so excited to go, spend time with her, and experience NYC during Christmas (and hopefully SNL?!).   Here's a skit from this past week's show which made my sides hurt I laughed so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment