Saturday, November 3, 2012

Inviting someone to church = Invitation to be a part of the family.

When I have gone on dates with or start talking to a romantic interest, it doesn't take me long to start talking about my church.  I've been there for 9 years now, all of my adult life.  I am tearing up now just thinking of them.  They are my family.  

In the past few years, I have had a small handful of dating experiences, some really awesome, some non-awesome.  I've had some heartbreak and a lot of tears.    When someone new comes along, they will generally ask me if they could visit my church.  I am usually hesitant about this because it's like being introduced to my extended family...and that's a big deal, like after the 5th date sort of deal.

We are small and tight knit.  I like it that way.  I hope I have never given folks the impression that I hate megachurches (some of which I have affectionately dubbed as 'rock show church').    I don't hate them.  They do a lot of good things.   God has given me a jewel for my crown in the form of my church.      

We are far from perfect.  Sometimes I can't focus during Sunday morning worship because I am frustrated about this or that which happened at church.  Having been around for so long, I think our flaws have become more apparent to me in the past couple of years.  But (a big but(t)), there is no such thing as a perfect church (except for this one below- yes, it's real and it's in Atlanta near Turner field) because church is made up of imperfect individuals.  Along those same lines, there is no such thing as a perfect family because families are made up of imperfect individuals.  But they stay together because they are a family.  I love my church because they are my family.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is The Family Stone.  I love it because they are so messy and yet they stick together.


"Christianity means community through Jesus Christ and in Jesus Christ...What does this mean? It means first, that a Christian needs others because of Jesus Christ.  It means, second, that a Christian comes to others only through Jesus Christ.  It means, third, that in Jesus Christ we have been chosen from eternity, accepted in time, and united for eternity."  Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment