Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Trying to be faithful in the small things, and that's enough.


This past Sunday, my pastor preached on the parable of the unjust steward (see Luke chapter 16), which ends with one of my favorite verses:   
Whoever is faithful in very little is also faithful in much, and whoever is unrighteous in very little is also unrighteous in much. (v. 10, also seen in Matt 25:21-23)
There is so much grace in this for me.  I don't have to save the world.  I don't even have to save one person.  However, if I can be faithful in the small things, God will give me many things with which to be faithful....and it's not about the gaining of many things either.

My good friend Abby and I were talking tonight about high school Christianity.  It was most often about the things you didn't do- drink, smoke, cuss, have sex- and also about 'standing up for your beliefs' (and by that I mean wreaking havoc in your world history class when it's the week to discuss and learn about world religions).  It was hardly ever about the things that you do, like sitting with the smelliest, meanest, nerdiest kids in school-and even loving your so-called "enemies" in the gay-straight alliance.  

The conversation made me think on how different we both are from our high school selves.  At 27 years of age, my biggest challenges are not staying away from controlled substances and orgies.  My biggest challenges are loving my neighbors and coworkers well, showing kindness to those who are different than me, not giving the finger to the guy who cut me off, managing my finances in a God honoring way....with loving those people God has put immediately around me being the toughest by far. 

There's grace in Jesus' statement because when I am feeling overwhelmed by the needs I see around me, and feel inadequate for all the things that I am not doing or could be doing, I come back to this and find much rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment