Friday, May 25, 2012

beautyX4

I have a younger sister who is 11 years old.  She is absolutely precious and amazing.  She'll be in middle school this fall, which absolutely blows my mind to pieces.  Eleven is that age when girls can get mean, where body parts start changing, and you start growing into your new skin.  For that reason, most people would never wish to revisit their middle school years. 

Over the past couple of months, one thing that has been turning itself over and over in my head is the question of the type of example I am setting for my sister...and what kind of example have I set for my other sisters in the form of confidence and self respect?  This is especially in regards to physical appearance.  I remember 6th grade as the year when I all of a sudden started caring where my clothes were bought and what all the other girls were doing/wearing. The idea of a classmate's possible disapproval of my appearance was devastating to me (can I get a witness?) at that age.  All I can say now is that I hope and pray that my words and actions can be a reflection of 1 Peter 3:15:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.";
and so beautifully put by Audrey Hepburn (who I like more and more as I learn about her life):


source: http://myboomerplace.com/Linda1950






















To my sisters (especially my youngest sister):
I promise you that there will never be a shortage of voices telling you that a thinner waistline, bigger boobs, skinnier arms and legs, curlier/straighter/longer/shorter hair, more defined cheekbones, bronzer skin, flatter belly, will make you more beautiful.  The voices may come from TV shows, magazines, books, and your friends at school.  I know that what they say can seem to be so true.  I've fallen for it many times.   
The truth is that you're beautiful.   If you spin your wheels always comparing yourself to others, you'll go crazy.  God is crazy about you and He delights over you.  He has your name written on the palm of His hand.  He is enthralled with your beauty.  He's your surest foundation, your rock

1 comment:

  1. You are one of the best sisters that I could hope for out of 3!! I love you soooo much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete