Thursday, March 15, 2012

not running the peachtree but a different kind of race.

Hey folks.  I know it's been awhile.  I'm going to use this tiny platform to tell you how excited I am about walking the peachtree road race this year.  It will be my 3rd year participating in the race. Here's a little more about why I'm walking.


While I would love to shoot for another PR this year in the race...Christopher's insight into his experience of carrying the jerry can last year (filled with 5 gallons of water at the halfway point)- how difficult it was, and how it totally changed his perspective on the need for access to clean water everywhere- was both challenging and gut-wrenching.  Challenging because, these days, I am thrilled at the idea of physically challenging my body (my sore muscles hate me for this right now).   Gut wrenching  because I think of children having to make an Xmile round-trip every day to fetch water (dirty, disease ridden water).    

I feel a little selfish about posting those two reasons, because one of them is about me...and this whole thing is so obviously not about me.  But maybe God will use this to take my eyes off myself for just a hot minute (literally HOT minute) when I am walking.

I'm joining in with Christopher and approximately 60 others (as of this past sunday) to raise funds/awareness for CharityWater by walking the race carrying a yellow jerry can.  

You can join too.  Registration for the race is by lottery, and it's open March 15-22.    If you would like to join is, you can email me at gtbrookie@gmail.com or Christopher at wewillnotstop2012@yahoo.com.


2 comments:

  1. Do you know if they are doing this at other races? I searched around on the website a little bit, but didn't see anything. Maybe I need to join first? I was going to look and see if there was anything around our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I know of, Ashley. (hint, you should come to Atlanta for the peachtree! OR you could contact Christopher about possibly doing your own in NC!)

    ReplyDelete