Monday, May 2, 2011

When I flipped on my radio this morning...

I learned of Osama bin Laden's death.  At first I felt a bit of relief, but then I remembered that Jesus said "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."   How am I supposed to feel about this?

Rick Warren tweeted a verse from Proverbs 21:5- When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous and terror to the evildoers.   I saw another tweeted verse from Proverbs 24:17- Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles.   One tweeter took a sarcastic tone with "Way to one-up the royal wedding, America."  I laughed out loud at that one.

When I got home from work, I saw a friend from facebook posted the following quote from MLK, hitting the nail on the head.
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Let us pray for peace in the days ahead.

1 comment: