Thursday, November 12, 2009

no one can serve two masters...

...Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money" -Jesus (Matthew 6)

This was a verse that I had dismissed until last week. In community group last week, we talked about all the ways that we can let money take reign in our lives. A few days prior, my good friend Erin Leigh lovingly pointed out to me that I often let money control my life. I agreed and then the thought fell to the back-burner until community group when we returned to this. I realized the weight of what she told me. Jesus is not just talking about an abundance of cash here. For example, I would turn down opportunities to spend time with people who I love dearly because "I have more month than money right now." Also, I would lay awake in bed at night, formulating plans and ideas for how I would pay off my student loans. I was letting my own lack of discipline in allocating my paycheck control my life, as opposed to the Holy Spirit.

PS- I am NOT trying to downplay being wise in your spending/saving/giving. This is a classic example of my own human tendancy of taking something that is good and making it GOD in my life. Therefore, Let us not become "...enamored with gifts, yet hardly knowing the GIVER..."

No comments:

Post a Comment